Callaloo is a delicious Caribbean leaf vegetable traditionally known as amaranth. It’s similar to spinach and versatile in the kitchen as it can be used in stews, curries or salads. Plants grow vigorously throughout the summer and you should keep picking the leaves in order to make the most of the crop. In autumn, Callaloo produces a large and beautiful seed frond.
Your plants will arrive as multi-sown plugs, ready to be planted out.
- Number of vegetable plant plugs in the box: 10
- Latin name for Callaloo: Amaranthus viridis
What to do when your plants arrive
- Unpack them. Your seedlings will arrive carefully packed in bio-degradable straw, cardboard and paper. They may look a little bit bedraggled from their journey. Don’t panic – this is totally normal and they should soon perk up. Please try and unpack your plants as soon as they arrive, as every extra hour they spend in the box will add to the stress of travelling to their new home.
- Give them a drink. Having spent a day or two in the post, your new plants will be thirsty! Stand them up in some fresh water for a few minutes to make sure their roots have been thoroughly soaked before planting.
- Plant them out into their forever home! Your plants can’t wait to get their roots into the soil. Plant them out according to the instructions that will have come in the box with them. Make sure you water them in well, and give them plenty to drink until their roots have had a chance to get settled.
As you well know, plants are unpredictable creatures and so is the British weather. As such, we reserve the right to substitute items in your order for an equivalent variety. To find out more about substitutions, please take a look at our terms and conditions.
We charge a flat shipping fee of £6.99 per shipping season. If you order everything from one season ie Spring you will be charged once, if you order Spring and Summer you will be charged twice etc. We do not ship outside of the UK.
Where can I send a gift card?
All of our products are available to send to UK addresses only. The products that the recipient can redeem their gift card on will only be mailed to a UK postal address. Postage is free for physical Gift Cards, as well as on the products that can be redeemed.
Terms and Conditions
Please click here for further information including returns and refunds.
Planning your site
Callaloo is best grown in a warm, sunny spot in well-drained, fertile soil whether in raised beds, containers, or in rows in the veg garden. Plant plugs in the ground 7–10 in (18–25 cm) apart. Callaloo plants can handle a little crowding though, so don’t worry too much about getting the spacing exact.
There’s no need to water callaloo unless the soil is totally dry. If you can feel any moisture in the soil at all, leave the plants be to avoid overwatering. Harvest fresh growth with scissors.
What to watch out for
Callaloo is very disease tolerant, so you only really have to look out for pests, which can cause the plants to yield less foliage for harvesting.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.